Search Our Jobs
School Support Specialist-Broward CountyJob ID 19139 West Palm Beach, Florida
The School Support Specialist provides administrative intervention for students with behavioral problems and facilitates use of educational system opportunities and resources. This role will be based out of Broward County and servicing schools in Hollywood, FL.
**Position to start trainign in July 2022**
- Provides administrative intervention for students utilizing a behavioral approach to promote learning; provides assistance to students and families in accessing education and community services.
- Receives students from classrooms or office whenever necessary to address behavioral or attendance problems and de-escalates inappropriate behavior utilizing prescribed administrative intervention procedures.
- Works with students, families, and schools to encourage resolution of problems.
- Confers with school administrators, faculty, counselors, and other student support workers regarding student needs and behaviors.
- Communicates with other professionals regarding individual student needs and progress; provides information to BT staff, parents or guardians, and school staff regarding student behavior and consequences.
- Conducts informational meetings and classroom observations.
- Establishes and maintains informational records and files; collects data for tracking purposes and analyzes and reports on data as needed.
- Interacts with students and families to provide information and assistance about attendance and academic expectations and requirements, available resources, educational opportunities, and behavioral expectations.
- Supports students and families by providing guidance on how to identify, access, and fully utilize district, school, and community resources.
- Makes referrals to outside agencies and BT programs.
- Maintains assigned cases, making home visits as necessary.
- Serves as a role model in carrying out the Father Flanagan's Boys' Home mission.
- Directs all activities towards the fulfillment of the Boys Town mission
- Directs all actions to reflect the values and principles of Boys Town
- Establishes and maintains an environment that encourages teamwork, collaboration, and ethical behavior
- Maintains regular, reliable and predictable attendance
- Supports other members of the management team and their work
Other Duties: This job description incorporates the essential functions and duties required for this position. However, other duties may be required and assigned at times and as determined by a supervisor in order to meet the needs of the organization
- Ability to successfully teach and present behavior skills and material to students.
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements pertaining to youth care.
- Computer skills in Microsoft Office.
- Ability to communicate in an articulate, professional manner while maintaining necessary degree of confidentiality.
- Ability to build relationships with school personnel, youth, and families.
- Knowledge of the Boys Town Model.
- Ability to adapt responses to situations while maintaining procedural and regulatory integrity.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent is preferred.
- Previous experience including experience with learning disabled or behaviorally impaired learners.
- Previous experience in a classroom or school is preferred.
About Boys Town:
Boys Town has been changing the way America cares for children and families since 1917. With over a century of service, our employees have helped us grow from a small boardinghouse in downtown Omaha, Nebraska, into one of the largest national child and family care organizations in the country. With the addition of Boys Town National Research Hospital in 1977, our services branched out into the health care and research fields, offering even more career opportunities to those looking to make a real difference.
Our employees are our #1 supporters when it comes to achieving Boys Town's mission, which is why we are proud of their commitment to making the world a better place for children, families, patients, and communities. Unique perks to Boys Town employees and their families include free visits to Boys Town physicians and free prescriptions under the Boys Town Medical Plan, tuition assistance, parenting resources from our experts and professional development opportunities within the organization, just to name a few. Working at Boys Town is more than just a job, it is a way of life.
Date Posted: 5/12/2022
This advertisement describes the general nature of work to be performed and does not include an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, or abilities required. Boys Town is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in the E-Verify program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. To request a disability-related accommodation in the application process, contact us at 1-877-639-6003.