Residential Counselor (AFT)Portsmouth, Rhode Island
Job Title: Assistant Family-Teacher / Youth Counselor
Location: Portsmouth, Rhode Island
In a career as an Assistant Family-Teacher / Youth Counselor part of giving youth a second chance is exposing them to new experiences. Youth come to the Boys Town Family Home Program for a variety of reasons – family issues, abuse, neglect, abandonment, involvement in the juvenile justice system. You come in by presenting them with opportunities in education and school involvement, giving them their first happy Thanksgiving or teaching them how faith can help them heal. We strive to give Boys Town Kids the fulfilling lives they deserve.
- Provide direct care for 6-8 at-risk youth in a safe and caring family-style living environment
- Work in conjunction with an assigned Family-Teaching Couple
- Teach youth appropriate skills and behaviors through the Boys Town Model
- Use problem solving techniques to teach critical thinking and assist youth with behavioral problems
- Plan and participate in opportunities for individual and family activities that are both educational and entertaining
- Provide youth with moral, spiritual and educational development needed for future success
- Assist with youth transportation needs, household upkeep and the daily operating schedule of the home
- Maintain and prepare written records for household budgeting, tracking youth progress and reporting incidents or behaviors
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited academic program in Social Work, Health, Human Services, or Education OR any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must possess a valid driver's license with a good driving record and pass an annual Motor Vehicle Registration (MVR) check.
- Must have the willingness to work flexible hours in order to assist the Family Teaching Couple with youth and home activities.
About Boys Town New England:
Since opening in 1991, Boys Town New England services and programs touch the lives of 8,000 children and families in each year.
The opportunity to shape the future of America’s youth is only one of the many perks here at Boys Town New England. Our work culture recognizes the importance of furthering your education, and in order to do so we offer a number of tuition assistance and scholarship opportunities to make it happen. We also recognize the significance of being involved with our community, which means our team participates number of events such as the Newport Marathon, our annual Spirit of Youth Gala and a Christmas tree lighting on our own campus. We want to support and celebrate you as a member of our Boys Town family through all-staff cookouts, generous time off for vacation and an emphasis on leadership development here on the beautiful east coast.
About Boys Town:
Boys Town touches the lives of more than 2 million children and families nationwide each year. As one of the country’s largest nonprofit funded child-care organizations, Boys Town is nationally recognized for its research-proven child, health and family care programs. From our start in 1917, we’re poised to make even greater strides forward as we lead the way in changing how America cares for children, families and communities for the next 100 years.
Job ID: 14422
This advertisement describes the general nature of work to be performed and does not include an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, or abilities required. Boys Town is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in the E-Verify program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. To request a disability-related accommodation in the application process, contact us at 1-877-639-6003.