Search Our Jobs
Senior Director Translational Research CenterJob ID 15773 Omaha, Nebraska
Location:Boys Town Nebraska - Omaha
The Boys Town National Research Hospital is seeking to hire an established scientist with a strong research background in research specifically focused on disorders in children, a history of external funding and an interest in leading and expanding a dynamic research program supported by diverse sources of funding. Boys Town's research program currently includes 25 laboratories spanning the range from basic neuroscience to human translational research studies of human growth and development. Institutional and state funds are being used to expand the research program. We have close ties to local universities, but function independently.
Provides overall direction for planning and conducting research and evaluation activities in the Institute.
- Meets regularly with organization leaders to create strategic directions for Youth Care research.
- Sets annual goals and objectives for the TRC, evaluates progress on these on a regular basis, and makes progress reports to Youth Care leaders.
- Develops annual budgets for the TRC in collaboration with the EVP for Youth Care.
- Develops and maintains collaborative working relationships with university-based research, funding agencies, and other external partners to conduct nationally recognized research the supports the Boys Town mission.
- Applies current knowledge from Boys Town studies as well as relevant external research literatures to the development and practice of prevention and intervention programs at Boys Town.
- Conducts and supervises selected nationally significant research projects in collaboration with external partners and Boys Town staff.
- Carries out other external professional responsibilities commensurate with areas of expertise, including funding agency review panels, peer reviews of manuscripts and grant proposals, and holding offices in professional societies.
- Hires, supervises, and evaluates directors, research scientists, senior research analysts, research analysts, research assistants, and clerical staff.
- Travels as needed to consult to external programs, to direct or conduct on-site data collection activities, to present results of research/evaluation projects, or to collaborate with external partners and clients.
Directs an individual research program within the TRC that is productive, collaborative and capable of securing external support.
- Designs and conducts nationally and internationally significant research and evaluation studies which make significant contributions to scientific literature and are relevant to the development and implementation of prevention and treatment programs at Boys Town.
- Takes a leadership role in working on teams to design research plans, disseminate the results of research projects, and assist with program development and operations.
- Conducts annual performance evaluations of laboratory heads in the TRC, research assistants and postdocs assigned to the Director’s own laboratory, and key clinical staff.
- Monitors compliance with Boys Town policies by members of the Center staff and takes steps to assure compliance when necessary.
- Serves as a member of the Research Executive Committee and on other committees as assigned by the Director of Research and/or the EVP of Youth Care.
- Consults with Boys Town staff and approves research projects conducted outside the Research Institute.
- Mentors laboratory directors by advising on the content of grant applications, reviewing Summary Statements and encouraging others to maintain a collegial, supportive environment.
- Provides regular reports on relevant research and evaluation projects to key stakeholders.
- Publishes results of research and evaluation projects for articles and presents results to internal and external audiences.
- Participates in the development of research grant proposals to secure extramural funding for research.
Serves as a role model in carrying out the Father Flanagan's Boys' Home mission.
· Ph.D. in Psychology, Social Work, Education, or related field.
· At least 10 years of experience including design and implementation of research and evaluation in one or more of the following areas: education, child welfare, outcomes evaluation, criminal justice, family studies, or behavioral healthcare; experience supervising high-level professional staff, administrating programs, and publishing empirical research.
· Demonstrated research capabilities with a record of sustained extramural funding and publications in major scholarly journals.
· Available to travel.
· Knowledge of research design and statistics, and design and implementation of research and evaluation in one or more of the following areas: education, child welfare, outcomes evaluation, criminal justice, family studies, or behavioral healthcare.
· Knowledge of strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership technique, and coordination of people and resources in a non-profit organization. Knowledge of organizational strategies and ability to apply those strategies in practice.
· High level of professionalism and interpersonal skills. Excellent critical thinking, analytical, and problem solving skills.
· Ability to communicate at all levels within the organization and with external business contacts in an articulate, professional manner while maintaining necessary degree of confidentiality.
· Ability to successfully lead a team of associates
Our employees are our #1 supporters when it comes to achieving Boys Town's mission, which is why we are proud of their commitment to making the world a better place for children, families, patients, and communities. Unique perks to Boys Town employees and their families include free visits to Boys Town physicians and free prescriptions under the Boys Town Medical Plan, tuition assistance, parenting resources from our experts and professional development opportunities within the organization, just to name a few. Working at Boys Town is more than just a job, it is a way of life.
Date Posted: September 19, 2020
This advertisement describes the general nature of work to be performed and does not include an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, or abilities required. Boys Town is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in the E-Verify program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. To request a disability-related accommodation in the application process, contact us at 1-877-639-6003.