Research Assistant II - GeneticsOmaha, Nebraska
Job Title: Research Assistant II
Location: Omaha, NE
Job Summary:Under general direction of the appropriate Research Project Coordinator, performs work of moderate difficulty in PERFORMING tasks related to various phases (neuroscience, renal disease research, and/or administrative) of a specific research project.
• Performs genotyping of mouse tail DNA samples.
• Interacts productively with other lab staff to coordinate project performance.
• Collects blood and other samples and/or data and statistics for use in genetic studies.
• Performs work with mouse models including glomerular filtration rate measurements and drug administration via oral gavage or subcutaneous injection.
• Performs immunohistochemistry and microscopy for tissue samples.
• Maintains careful records of activities, analyzes results, writes reports, and verifies accuracy. Exercises prudent fiscal policy.
• Participates in continuing education proficiency, quality assurance.
• Other Duties: This job description incorporates the essential functions and duties required for this position. However, other duties may be required and assigned at times and as determined by a supervisor in order to meet the needs of the organization.
BA/BS or higher degree in Biology or related field required, with an emphasis in Genetics
A minimum of two years of experience
Must have good inter-personal skills in dealing with faculty and staff members,
Must be able to organize work tasks and pay attention to details, to learn and utilize new skills, and as necessary, to work flexible hours and travel.
This is intended to be an entry-level position within our organization for a person with either limited background in basic research but extensive experience in other fields, or an individual with some background in genetics and neuroscience, but little experience. This job title will fit a variety of entry-level positions. The specific duties and responsibilities are detailed in different training schedule outlines which correspond with the specific positions.
Our employees are our #1 supporters when it comes to achieving Boys Town's mission, which is why we offer an array of competitive and attractive benefit options. Unique perks to Boys Town employees and their families include free visits to Boys Town Physicians, free prescriptions, tuition assistance, access to the campus Field House, parenting resources from our experts and advancement opportunities within the organization, just to name a few. Working at Boys Town is more than just a job, it is a way of life.
About Boys Town:
Boys Town touches the lives of more than 2 million children and families nationwide each year. As one of the country’s largest nonprofit funded child-care organizations, Boys Town is nationally recognized for its research-proven child, health and family care programs. From our start in 1917, we’re poised to make even greater strides forward as we lead the way in changing how America cares for children, families and communities for the next 100 years.
Schedule: part time
Date Posted: 2/14/20
Job ID: 15165
This advertisement describes the general nature of work to be performed and does not include an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, or abilities required. Boys Town is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in the E-Verify program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. To request a disability-related accommodation in the application process, contact us at 1-877-639-6003.