Search Our Jobs
Registered Nurse- OR IJob ID 19305 Omaha, Nebraska
Are you looking for an opportunity to join a premier research hospital facility? Boys Town offers a broad range of healthcare services that provides the latest and most innovative care to our patients. As a Registered Nurse OR1, you will utilize a systematic approach to nursing practice incorporating assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation. You will also provide continuing health care and education to individuals and families to help them achieve their optimal level of health.
Schedule: M-F/6:00 AM-4:30 PM (10 hour shifts)/with a default day off.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
- In collaboration with other members of the health care team, the nurse uses the nursing process to complete the pre-operative physical, cognitive, spiritual, and psychosocial assessment of patients awaiting surgery.
- Formulates plan of care and reviews and revises plan on an ongoing basis. Able to plan and give care based on the patient's age and level of development.
- Assures appropriate information management and documentation as per hospital policy; gives timely and thorough report to other members of the health care team using a designated hand off communication tool.
- Performs circulating duties in the operating suite and supervises surgical technologists.
- Ensures the Time Out procedure that verifies the correct patient, correct site, and the correct procedures is being performed.
- Assists in positioning, responding to comfort/safety of patient.
- Provides for accurate care and handling of specimens.
- Observes and enforces strict standards of asepsis.
- In collaboration with other members of the health care team, the nurse assesses patient/family understanding and response to care provided; and patient/family educational needs. The nurse redirects care as needed.
- Works with surgical technologist in preparing the operating room for each procedure. Takes responsibility for the preparation of the sterile field set-up.
- Utilities the Surgeon Preference Card and with the surgical technologist, identifies and gathers all necessary supplies, equipment, and instruments for each operative procedure.
- Assures proper handling of contaminated instruments and cleaning of room after cases. Performs housekeeping duties as needed.
- Assists surgeon by anticipating needs and providing instruments and other materials in a timely manner.
- Responsible for all counted items throughout the procedure. Performs sponge, needle, and instrument counts per policy.
- Assists in limiting traffic in/out of room during procedures.
- Responsible for working with team members as time permits for: assisting in other OR's as needed, picking procedure supplies for the next day's schedule, stocking/restocking supply areas and OR's, outdating supply cupboards, and updating Surgeon Preference Cards.
- Works with leadership providing input into acquisition and need for supplies and equipment.
- Participates in/or prepares for in services and patient care conference.
- Maintains "The Joint Commission" standards on an ongoing basis and assists in unit responsibilities for readiness for Joint Commission visits.
- Participates in department performance improvement activities.
- Serves on hospital or system committees as assigned; maintains two-way communication between Surgery Center staff and assigned committee.
- Understands the anatomy and physiology of surgical procedures.
- Follows AORN guidelines for perioperative practices and supportive agencies.
- Other Duties: This job description incorporates the essential functions and duties required for this position. However, other duties may be required and assigned at times and as determined by a supervisor to meet the needs of the organization.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Ability to demonstrate clinical competence in providing direct patient care and patient and family education as well as assisting the physician in the delivery of patient care.
- Ability to apply knowledge of all ages and developmental levels to care given.
- Ability to communicate concisely with patients, families, and staff; collaborate with other members of the health care team to enhance care.
- Ability to make assessments and problem solve.
- Possesses detailed knowledge of the use and maintenance of a wide variety of surgical equipment and instruments.
- Ability to complete patient documentation in a thorough and concise manner, in whatever mode is necessary.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to respond quickly and calmly to emergencies and stressful situations.
- Ability to independently manage multiple priorities.
- Ability to utilize a variety of computer programs to manage work.
- Ability to be flexible with daily assignments in all surgical specialties.
- May float to both campuses as needed.
- Provides patient care and education according to the patient population served.
REQUIREMENTS OF THE JOB:
- A registered nurse who is a graduate of an accredited school with a current state license.
- Minimum of two years of experience in an acute hospital setting, and pediatric experience preferred.
- Minimum of one year of previous OR experience required.
- Must be CPR (BLS) certified.
- ACLS & PALS certification within 6 months of employment.
- Prior working knowledge of using a personal computer and electronic medical records.
- Requires moving, lifting a minimum of 50 pounds of force occasionally (34-66%) and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects (0-33%);
- Requires turning and positioning patients properly to avoid injury before, during, or after surgery
- Requires walking and standing most of the time while on duty.
- Possesses audible acuity necessary for taking blood pressures and maintaining patient safety.
- Possesses visual acuity necessary for reading charts, forms, communications, administering medications and patient assessments.
Subject to inside environmental conditions: protection from weather conditions, but not necessarily from temperature changes.
This advertisement describes the general nature of work to be performed and does not include an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, or abilities required. Boys Town is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in the E-Verify program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status. To request a disability-related accommodation in the application process, contact us at 1-877-639-6003.