Search Our Jobs
Registered Nurse- Inpt PsychJob ID 19221 Omaha, Nebraska
$10,000.00 Hiring Bonus
This Registered Nurse Inpatient Psych position provides nursing care to assigned youth by overseeing youth health and wellness, implementing daily nursing care routines including administration of medications, infection control management, management of emergency care for youth, assessing mental and physical status of youth, and keeping the appropriate physician and administrative staff apprised of all untoward events. This position works collaboratively with all members of the treatment team.
Schedule: 3:00-11:30 PM/ 5 days per week/ Every other weekend.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
- Implements daily nursing care routines for youth assigned including the administration of medication, maintaining inventories of medication and nursing care items as needed, providing education about medications and other health concerns to youth and their families.
- Oversees the general health of youth assigned by being cognizant of infection control concerns, scheduling medical appointments for youth as necessary and accompanying them to these appointments when assigned, and assists with physician rounds in collaboration with other treatment team members.
- Provides appropriate medical and/or mental health emergency care to youth maintaining the health and safety of all youth assigned, keeping the appropriate physician and administrative staff apprised of all untoward events.
- Participates in the admission process completing an initial mental status and physical assessment, informing the supervising practitioner at the time of admission of any immediate medical concerns, and orienting youth and family/legal guardian to the program as appropriate.
- Follows approved program and hospital guidelines for documentation of medical orders, physical and mental assessment, medication administration, youth education, and other youth health concerns.
- Demonstrates continued competencies in performing special treatment procedures under the guidance of the psychiatrist. Complies with applicable policies and procedures for a youth physical intervention (personal restraint) in the event of emergency safety situations.
- Displays professionalism through willingness to act as a team member. Demonstrates effective communication with coworkers, supervisors, and consumers while taking responsibility for personal and professional development through attendance at mandatory staff meetings and training sessions. Models appropriate life skills behaviors including hygiene, grooming, dress, manners, and language.
- Provides supervisory/administrative oversight.
- Other Duties: This job description incorporates the essential functions and duties required for this position. However, other duties may be required and assigned at times and as determined by a supervisor in order to meet the needs of the organization.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Ability to resolve conflict in crisis situations.
- Ability to work with multidisciplinary teams.
- Ability to communicate concisely both orally and in writing, and work well with diverse professional staff, coworkers, and consumers.
- Ability to articulate an understanding of the mental health needs and potential medical interventions for youth of various ages.
- Ability to maintain appropriate levels of confidentiality.
- Ability to demonstrate tolerance to work under adverse conditions such as constant interruptions, inappropriate behaviors, and dealing with potential verbal and physical threats from youth.
- Ability to help maintain a safe and positive environment for youth and co-workers.
- Ability to utilize a variety of computer programs to manage work; familiarity with Windows and Office programs.
- Provides patient care and education according to the patient population served.
REQUIREMENTS OF THE JOB:
- A registered nurse who is a graduate of an accredited school with a current state license.
- Previous Behavioral Health nursing experience, preferred
- Requires demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills, teaching ability, and willingness to be flexible in scheduling
- Must be CPR (BLS) certified
- Must be trained in the programs nationally approved personal restraint model
- Must be 20 years of age or older.
- Light to medium work, occasional squatting, kneeling, negotiating to the ground into a quadruped position, crawling, lying on the ground while maintaining a variable static force to restrain a child or simulate restraining.
- Requires functional use of bilateral lower extremities to complete these tasks as the restraint required will dictate employee position and duration of the task, lasting up to 3 minutes.
- Occasional forceful exertion of the upper extremities while restraining a child or simulating restraints that would require function strength and range of motion the upper extremities and trunk. Force is variable depending on restraint, may be up to 50lbs of static force and up to 3 minutes. Walking and standing varies throughout the day.
The worker is subject to inside environmental conditions, protection from weather conditions, but not necessarily from temperature changes. Potential exposure to aggressive individuals. Exposure to normal childhood diseases.
September 22, 2022
This advertisement describes the general nature of work to be performed and does not include an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, or abilities required. Boys Town is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in the E-Verify program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status. To request a disability-related accommodation in the application process, contact us at 1-877-639-6003.