Search Our Jobs
Pre-Admissions Nurse (RN)Job ID 16476 Omaha, Nebraska
Business: Boys Town National Research Hospital
In a career as a Pre-Admissions Nurse, you join us in providing life-changing care to patients from across the region. The Pre-Admission nurse utilizes a systematic approach to nursing practice incorporating assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation. Provides continuing health care and education to individuals and families to help them achieve their optimal level of health, and plays a key role in assessing, preparing, and coordinating patient care prior to their surgery.
Schedule: Monday through Friday, 10:30 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Location: Center Mall - 1942 S 42nd Street, Omaha, NE
- In collaboration with other members of the health care team, the Pre-Admissions Nurse uses the nursing process to complete the preoperative physical, cognitive, spiritual and psychosocial assessment of patients awaiting surgery.
- Initiates contact with the patient/family when surgery scheduling is complete. Performs a thorough assessment of the patient's medical history and current health status, including a complete accounting of the patient's current medications. Documents all pertinent information in SIS and Next Gen.
- Ensures completion of all pre-op testing, history and physical, pre-op orders, and pre-op patient education. Serves as a liaison between the primary physician, anesthesia, and the Surgery Center.
- Accountable for obtaining pertinent information and reports (H&P, lab, EKG, etc.) from the physician offices. Reviews the information and consults with anesthesia and/or surgeon for any issues or concerns relating to appropriateness of performing surgery at BTNRH, according to anesthesia criteria for such review.
- Enters physician orders for surgery into the EHR, based on respective physician orders. Verifies that the correct surgery, including site and side, is scheduled and that all pre-admission orders have been entered.
- Maintains "The Joint Commission" standards on an ongoing basis and assists in unit responsibilities for readiness for "The Joint Commission" visits.
- Participates in department performance improvement activities involving other staff members as appropriate, and posts results for staff to review.
- Serves on hospital or system committees as assigned; maintains two-way communication between Surgery Center staff and assigned committee.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A registered nurse who is a graduate of an accredited school with a current state license
- Minimum of two years of experience in an acute hospital setting with pediatric experience preferred
- Experience in a perioperative clinical setting with knowledge of surgical procedures and anesthesia types
- Experience in scheduling surgery, or working in an admissions department, is preferred
- Experience working in the operating room is preferred
- Must be CPR certified.
About Boys Town:
Boys Town has been changing the way America cares for children and families since 1917. With over a century of service, our employees have helped us grow from a small boardinghouse in downtown Omaha, Nebraska, into one of the largest national child and family care organizations in the country. With the addition of Boys Town National Research Hospital in 1977, our services branched out into the health care and research fields, offering even more career opportunities to those looking to make a real difference.
Our employees are our #1 supporters when it comes to achieving Boys Town's mission, which is why we are proud of their commitment to making the world a better place for children, families, patients, and communities. Unique perks to Boys Town employees and their families include free visits to Boys Town physicians and free prescriptions under the Boys Town Medical Plan, tuition assistance, parenting resources from our experts and professional development opportunities within the organization, just to name a few. Working at Boys Town is more than just a job, it is a way of life.
Date Posted: January 4, 2020