Phone CounselorOmaha, Nebraska
CLOSING DATE: Job is posted through January 20, 2019
The Boys Town National Hotline stopped more than 430 suicides in-progress last year alone, in addition to helping thousands of other callers deal with self-injury, abuse, and depression.
OVERVIEW OF JOB
Boys Town National Hotline is a 24/7 crisis line; with a primary focus to de-escalate crisis situations presented via phone, chat, text and email. Crisis situations can range from relationship struggles, parenting issues, child abuse, anxiety, depression to suicidal thoughts and suicide attempts in progress. If you have a passion for helping others are able to provide support and encouragement and enjoy working in a team environment the crisis counselor position would be a good fit.
Crisis Counselor provides crisis counseling in response to inbound and outbound contacts by telephone, email, chat, text. Assesses immediate and long term safety of the client to determine further actions; use basic counseling techniques such as questioning, paraphrasing, and reflective listening. Remains calm and objective during life-threatening situations, enlists support of senior staff as needed for difficult calls, and makes joint decisions about further action. Provides helpful information to clients including parenting skills and problem solving, and walks client through steps to arrive at a solution. Provide local services/resources and referrals for clients. Follows established procedures in handling each category of request and utilizes judgment within each situation. Documents details and information given within the course of the contact and provides reports as needed.
This is an hourly position. The job is physically located on Boys Town campus in Omaha, NE and cannot be done remotely.
Schedule 1: Monday and Wednesday 5p-11p* and Saturday 7a-3p Schedule 2: Tuesday and Friday 5p-11p* and Saturday 3p-11p
Additional hours may be available to start earlier or work later for each shift, for example a 3pm -11pm or 5pm - 1am.
BENEFITS of being a CRISIS COUNSELOR at BOYS TOWN
Excellent benefit package that includes health, dental and vision insurance; a 401K retirement plan; paid vacation and sick leave
Tuition Reimbursement and scholarships available
Career advancement opportunities within the department and organization
Make an impact in people’s lives doing gratifying and satisfying work
REQUIRED EDUCATION, TRAINING, EXPERIENCE, OR SKILLS
• Bachelor's degree in Social or Behavioral Sciences is required per contract.
• Previous crisis intervention or hotline experience preferred. Knowledge of resources available in NE preferred.
• High level of interpersonal, critical thinking, and problem solving skills.
• Computer skills in Microsoft Office, or other related programs, and web-based or other electronic communication formats.
• Ability to communicate verbally in an articulate, professional manner while maintaining necessary degree of confidentiality and appropriate content. Bilingual in the Spanish language preferred.
• Ability to communicate in writing in an articulate, professional manner via email, chat, text, and other forms of web-based or other electronic communication formats, utilizing proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation while maintaining necessary degree of confidentiality and appropriate content.
This advertisement describes the general nature of work to be performed and does not include an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, or abilities required. Boys Town is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in the E-Verify program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. To request a disability-related accommodation in the application process, contact us at 1-877-639-6003