Linux System EngineerOmaha, Nebraska
TITLE: Linux System Engineer
CLOSING DATE: July 23, 2018
OVERVIEW OF BOYS TOWN
Are you passionate about shaping the future of America’s Youth?
Boys Town Nebraska is changing the way America cares for children, families and communities by providing and promoting an Integrated Continuum of Care that instills Boys Town values to strengthen body, mind and spirit. Our mission is centered on creating an environment for children that includes trust, discipline, emotional support and respect. We believe that all children and youth have the potential to become bright, productive, adjusted, loving people. Boys Town is nationally recognized for its research-proven child, health and family care programs. As one of the country’s largest nonprofit funded child-care organizations, Boys Town touches the lives of more than 2 million children and families nationwide each year. Join our Town today and help us shape the future of America!
OVERVIEW OF JOB
The Linux Systems Engineer ensures the stability, integrity, and efficient operation of information systems that support core organizational functions by monitoring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing all networked software and associated operating systems. This position also identifies, communicates, and resolves issues in order to maximize the benefit of systems investments. In this role, some of your additional responsibilities will include:
- Engineering and implementing network and operating system solutions.
- Installing, maintaining, administrating, and troubleshooting Linux servers and appliances.
- Conducting routine Linux Operating System technical server support and maintenance, with a focus on proactive problem resolution and growth forecasting.
- Assisting in maintaining technical and detailed design documentation for Linux environments.
- Reviewing system and application logs and OS behavior to proactively monitor systems and address issues and security concerns accordingly.
- Assisting with backup and recovery of Linux systems.
- Participating in Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery design and implementation.
- Maintaining security at the server operating system level, including hardening, and patches; assisting internal developers with complex application level security and encryptions.
- Performing Linux OS and Security updates and upgrades as required; establishing and adhering to a regular patch management schedule.
- Collaborating with operation staff to ensure smooth and reliable operation of software and systems for fulfilling business objectives and processes; working with executive team members, decision makers, and stakeholders to define business requirements and systems goals, and to identify and resolve business systems issues.
- Working with Windows Engineers to integrate Linux systems into the larger Windows Environment, including authentication and monitoring.
- Designing and supporting authentication methodologies including Radius, Kerberos, and certificate based authentication.
- Providing orientation and training to end users for modified and new systems.
- Maintaining technical adherence to external compliance mandates and assisting in the development of policies and procedures.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, TRAINING, EXPERIENCE, OR SKILLS
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, related field, or equivalent preferred, but combination of Linux certifications and experience maybe substituted.
- 5 to 7 years of experience overseeing the design, development, and implementation of systems and applications; experience with systems planning and security. Windows, Oracle, SQL, and Web Platforms a plus.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Working technical knowledge of current software protocols, and Internet standards and working knowledge of network and PC operating systems, including Microsoft Windows Server, and Linux.
- Excellent software troubleshooting skills.
- Excellent understanding of organizational goals and objectives.
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Ability to conduct research into systems issues and products as required.
- Ability to communicate ideas in technical, business-friendly, and user-friendly language appropriate to both executive and managerial audiences.
- Proven analytical and creative problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure, team-oriented, collaborative environment and to meet deadlines and multi-task while maintaining quality standards.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, interpersonal and consultative skills, and excellent critical thinking, analytical, and problem solving skills.
This advertisement describes the general nature of work to be performed and does not include an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, or abilities required. Boys Town is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in the E-Verify program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. To request a disability-related accommodation in the application process, contact us at 1-877-639-6003.