Search Our Jobs
Horticulture & Landscape SpecialistJob ID 19693 Omaha, Nebraska
Business: Boys Town
$1,000 Hiring Bonus
Job Summary: The Horticulture and Landscape Specialist maintains horticulture, outdoor floriculture, and greenhouse plants. The role also completes landscape design and installation, and maintains pathways, green spaces and performs minor tree maintenance
Schedule: Full Time: Monday-Friday 7:00am-4:00pm with on call weekends and rotating weekends in the Winter.
- Assists with horticulture, floriculture, greenhouse, landscape and grounds activities.
- Operates, maintains, and repairs a variety of environmental control systems. Plants and maintains outdoor display areas for aesthetic and functional purposes using approved organic and biologic control measures.
- Determines appropriate propagation methods and raises floricultural crops. Maintains greenhouse facilities and utilizes indoor area for winter care of exotic and non-hardy plants. Removes and replaces substandard plant materials as needed; conducts annual autumn cleanup.
- Determines equipment and supplies needed, helps control inventory. Uses a variety of horticultural and grounds maintenance equipment; utilizes a Boys Town vehicle as needed to complete the duties of the job.
- Participates in snow removal and other weather cleanup as needed. Maintains properties (turf & flowerbeds). Responsible for landscape design and installation (plant material, trees, mulch, sod, dirt work). Controls growth of unwanted species of weeds and grass by weeding, cultivating, pruning and weed trimming.
- Serves as a role model in carrying out the Father Flanagan's Boys' Home mission. Directs all activities towards the fulfillment of the Boys Town mission. Directs all actions to reflect the values and principles of Boys Town.
- Establishes and maintains an environment that encourages teamwork, collaboration, and ethical behavior. Maintains regular, reliable and predictable attendance. Supports other members of the management team and their work.
- Other Duties: This job description incorporates the essential functions and duties required for this position. However, other duties may be required and assigned at times and as determined by a supervisor in order to meet the needs of the organization.
- High school diploma or equivalent is preferred.
- Previous experience in grounds maintenance, landscape installation, and/or agriculture.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license with a good driving record and pass an annual Motor Vehicle Registration (MVR) check.
- This position is on-call (continuously or rotationally) to provide support. Available to work evenings, weekends, and holidays if needed.
- State of Nebraska certified pesticide and herbicide applicator license is required within 6 months of hire.
Physical Requirements and Equipment Usage:
Moderate to very heavy physical work, occasionally having to lift up to 70 pounds without assistance and in excess of 100 pounds with assistance. Walking, standing, reaching, bending, digging, and may be required to work at heights of 10 feet or more.
The worker is subject to both indoor and outdoor conditions in temperatures below freezing and above 100 degrees for extended periods of time. Exposure to inclement weather ,dust, allergens, noise, pesticides, and herbicides.
About Boys Town:
Boys Town has been changing the way America cares for children and families since 1917. With over a century of service, our employees have helped us grow from a small boardinghouse in downtown Omaha, Nebraska, into one of the largest national child and family care organizations in the country. With the addition of Boys Town National Research Hospital in 1977, our services branched out into the health care and research fields, offering even more career opportunities to those looking to make a real difference.
Our employees are our #1 supporters when it comes to achieving Boys Town's mission, which is why we are proud of their commitment to making the world a better place for children, families, patients, and communities. Unique perks to Boys Town employees and their families include medical, dental and vision insurance, tuition assistance, parenting resources from our experts and professional development opportunities within the organization, just to name a few. Working at Boys Town is more than just a job, it is a way of life.
Date Posted: October 5, 2022
This advertisement describes the general nature of work to be performed and does not include an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, or abilities required. Boys Town is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in the E-Verify program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status. To request a disability-related accommodation in the application process, contact us at 1-877-639-6003.