Crisis Counselor - HotlineOmaha, Nebraska
Job Title: Crisis Counselor
Location: Omaha, NE
The Boys Town National Hotline stopped more than 430 suicides in-progress last year alone, in addition to helping thousands of other callers deal with self-injury, abuse, and depression.
Crisis Counselor provides crisis counseling in response to inbound and outbound contacts by telephone, email, chat, text. Assesses immediate and long term safety of the client to determine further actions; use basic counseling techniques such as questioning, paraphrasing, and reflective listening. Remains calm and objective during life-threatening situations, enlists support of senior staff as needed for difficult calls, and makes joint decisions about further action. Provides helpful information to clients including parenting skills and problem solving, and walks client through steps to arrive at a solution. Provide local service referrals for clients. Follows established procedures in handling each category of request and utilizes judgment within each situation. Documents details and information given within the course of the contact and provides reports as needed.
Note: This job is located on Boys Town campus in Omaha, NE and cannot be done remotely.
Hours: Currently hiring for Full-time overnight or Part-time
Full time: Tues, Weds, Fri, Sat 7pm - 7am
Helpline: Weds-Sat 7a-5p (Bachelors degree required)
Part time: Saturday & Sunday varied Evening or Night hours OR every other Friday/Saturday (7p-3a)
• Bachelor's degree in Social or Behavioral Sciences is preferred.
• Previous crisis intervention or hotline experience preferred.
• High level of interpersonal, critical thinking, and problem solving skills.
• Computer skills in Microsoft Office, or other related programs, and web-based or other electronic communication formats.
• Ability to communicate verbally in an articulate, professional manner while maintaining necessary degree of confidentiality and appropriate content.
• Ability to communicate in writing in an articulate, professional manner via email, chat, text, and other forms of web-based or other electronic communication formats, utilizing proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation while maintaining necessary degree of confidentiality and appropriate content.
About the Boys Town Hotline:
Boys Town National Hotline is a 24/7 crisis line; with a primary focus to de-escalate crisis situations presented via phone, chat, text and email. Crisis situations can range from relationship struggles, parenting issues, child abuse, anxiety, depression to suicidal thoughts and suicide attempts in progress. If you have a passion for helping others are able to provide support and encouragement and enjoy working in a team environment the crisis counselor position would be a good fit.
Benefits of being a Crisis Counselor at Boys Town:
- Excellent benefit package that includes health, dental and vision insurance; a 401K retirement plan; paid vacation and sick leave
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Career advancement opportunities within the department and organization
- Make an impact in people’s lives doing gratifying and satisfying work
About Boys Town:
Boys Town touches the lives of more than 2 million children and families nationwide each year. As one of the country’s largest nonprofit funded child-care organizations, Boys Town is nationally recognized for its research-proven child, health and family care programs. From our start in 1917, we’re poised to make even greater strides forward as we lead the way in changing how America cares for children, families and communities for the next 100 years.
Date Posted: November 6, 2019
Job ID: 14576
This advertisement describes the general nature of work to be performed and does not include an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, or abilities required. Boys Town is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in the E-Verify program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. To request a disability-related accommodation in the application process, contact us at 1-877-639-6003.