Job DetailsApply Now Apply Later
Family Teaching CoupleJob ID 4698005 Date posted 05/16/2017
FAMILY TEACHING COUPLE / HOUSEPARENTS - NEW ORLEANS, LA
OVERVIEW OF BOYS TOWN:
Are you passionate about shaping the future of America’s Youth?
Boys Town is changing the way America cares for children, families and communities by providing and promoting an Integrated Continuum of Care that instills Boys Town values to strengthen body, mind and spirit.
Our mission is centered on creating an environment for children that includes trust, discipline, emotional support and respect. We believe that all children and youth have the potential to become bright, productive, adjusted, loving people.
Boys Town is nationally recognized for its research-proven child, health and family care programs. As one of the country’s largest nonprofit funded child-care organizations, Boys Town touches the lives of more than 2 million children and families nationwide each year. Join our Town today and help us shape the future of America!
OVERVIEW OF JOB:
As our Family-Teaching Couple you will provide direct care for 6-8 at-risk youth through creating a safe and loving family style living environment. Living on-site in a Boys Town Family home, together you will provide youth with moral, spiritual, and educational development needed for future success. This includes providing emotional support utilizing praise, positive feedback, affection, and empathy to build ones self-confidence and respect. Through the use of the Boys Town Model, you will guide and teach youth appropriate skills and behaviors. Using rational problem solving techniques you will teach youth critical thinking skills, assist with behavioral problems, counsel through personal issues, and provide crisis intervention when needed. As our Family Teaching Couple you will plan, participate, and provide opportunities for individual and family activities that are both educational and entertaining. Through displaying and teaching parenting, family, and relationship skills to youth, legal guardians, and caretakers you will help create collaborative relationships and family engagement. You will maintain contact with both internal and external consumers/agencies to obtain and/or provide information regarding youth’s behaviors, strategies, and progress. As our Family Teaching Couple you will be responsible for maintaining and preparing written records for household budgeting, tracking youth progress, reporting incidents/behaviors, and documenting youth medical needs and appointments. You will continually provide support for educational success through monitoring youth academic performance. Additionally, you will teach and role model Boys Town values and ethical behaviors, as well as support and encourage participation in regular religious activities. As our Family Teaching Couple you will be responsible for supervising the activities of your assigned Assistant Family Teacher to aid in their development and success. Additionally, you will manage the daily operating schedule of the home; assist with youth transportation needs, and overall household upkeep. This position can also be referred to as houseparent or house parent.
Individuals in this position also show interest in:social work, family advocacy, wrap-around services, foster care, case planning, case management, mental health, psychology, sociology, human services, CASA, social services, criminal justice, criminology, and education.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, TRAINING, EXPERIENCE, OR SKILLS:
- Be at least 21 years of age or older, except if applying for Washington D.C. due to contractual requirements one must be at least 22 years of age or older
- High School diploma or equivalent is required, some college credit is preferred
- A valid driver’s license with a good driving record and the ability to pass a MVR Check
- Ability and desire to work and live with youth
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Flexibility and willingness to work a wide array of hours, which will include days, evenings, weekends and holidays
- A willingness to learn and implement all phases of the Boys Town Home Model, including all intervention and administrative functions
- Proven record of sound judgment and ability to work with children in a mature and responsible manner
- Ability to pass a thorough background check and reference verification procedure in order to determine one’s fitness to satisfactorily and safely care for youth
- Ability to attend a two weeks paid training in Omaha, Nebraska
BENEFITS OF BEING A BOYS TOWN FAMILY-TEACHING COUPLE:
- An annual starting salary of $59,440
- Fully paid living expenses, which include rent, utilities and a monthly household budget
- A benefits package that includes health, dental and vision insurance; a 401K retirement plan; paid vacation and sick leave
- A company vehicle
- Relocation Assistance
- Opportunities to earn college credit while working
- Career advancement opportunities within the organization
This advertisement describes the general nature of work to be performed and does not include an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, or abilities required. Boys Town is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in the E-Verify program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. To request a disability-related accommodation in the application process, contact us at 1-877-639-6003.